Wednesday, March 3, 2010

He Said, She Said... (Sort of)

Dear Mr. Rodda:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Supreme Court decision on campaign finance reform in Citizens United v. FEC. Many people believe that by striking down the limits on corporate spending in elections, the nation’s High Court has opened up our political system to dominance by moneyed special interests.

I entered public service back in the 1970s, and I don’t think I’ve seen a court decision with the potential for such far-reaching effects on our elections. So-called third-party groups, financed by corporations that tend to run negative and misleading TV ads, will be positioned to overpower the voices of average voters. Though the decision deals with Federal races, I’m sure we’ll see challenges mounted to State and local election spending limits, too.

I think there’s a real chance that Congress will act to put some reforms back in place. Please know that I will keep your views in mind should the Senate vote on this issue.

Sincerely,
Senator Bill Nelson

Senator,
In your reply to my email regarding your attempt to curb free speech you state the ads wil be "...financed by corporations that tend to run negative and misleading TV ads...". My question to you is Senator, who determines the negative and misleading part? Is it you senator, you, who are determined to ram health care down the throats of your constituents regardless the majority of Americans are against your plan, you, who spends our tax dollars on bailouts and pork barrel projects, you, who believes the more people there are on some entitlement the more votes you will garner come election time? Or is it the American people who should determine what is negative and misleading, what is right and wrong, what is best for our country?

No Senator, there is a fundamental difference between us, I want to do the best I can with my life helping others as I go, you want enslave people with the yoke of entitlements to protect your class's existence. Senator, government is not here to ensure people can eke out an existence relying on the benevolent hand of the ruling class, giving to those who agree and retracting it from those who believe otherwise. Government is here to ensure God's gift of life is used to the fullest with the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution!

With the respect due the Office,
Edward Rodda

No comments:

Post a Comment